Environmental Conferences, Trainings & Workshops Hosted by DEQ
DEQ hosts conferences, trainings, and workshops to provide environmental professionals and other interested parties an opportunity to network and learn about air quality, water quality, and waste management issues.
Workshops and Training
- Basics of Wastewater Training: Meridian, January 29–30, 2020: Wastewater professionals who are interested in becoming certified wastewater treatment operators in Idaho are invited to attend Basics of Wastewater Treatment.
Water Quality Workshop: Boise: February 11–13, 2020: Please join us to discuss water quality methods, results and policy. Since 1990, this workshop has provided a forum for technical dissemination of water quality topics, as well as opportunities to network and share information. Attendance at the workshop is free.
Southwest Idaho Ground Water Quality Forum, February 19, 2020: This forum will educate participants on the health impacts of ground water contamination in our region, potential sources of contamination, and actionable solutions to address the issue.
- Anaerobic Digestion Process, Equipment, and Math Training: February 21, 2020: This training will cover topics related to anaerobic digestion and solids handling such as sludge treatment options, the digestion process, equipment, and factors affecting anaerobic digestion. Operation and controls will also be discussed to explain how the process is monitored and provide operational adjustments for operators. Anaerobic digestion math will also be covered with several samples for students to complete. A certification-type anaerobic digestion exam will be given at the end of class.
- Wastewater Collection Operator Review for OIT and Class I and II Certifications, March 2–3: This two-day class covers a review for those preparing for the Wastewater Operators - Collection OIT, and Class I and II Certification examinations. The subject material will be presented at an introductory level and will provide practical information to be used in the execution of duties in daily work in a collection system. The following subjects will be covered: introduction to collection systems, wastewater math, pumps and motors, collection system cleaning and CCTV, lift station operation and maintenance, collection system management, alternative collection systems, and confined space entry basics. Students will be given a study guide, including practice questions and reading material that will be covered in class.
ABC Exam Review Wastewater Treatment Operator II Training, April 8, 2020: This training will cover Class II certification exam-type questions and answer possibilities on a wide range of wastewater treatment topics. This class will not only help operators prepare for their next exam, it will also provide an opportunity to learn about treatment processes, which are not at their current facility.
- Biosolids 40 CFR Part 503 Training, April 15, 2020: This 503 training will be providing a better level of understanding and retention of the key elements and take home learning points. The class will include a tour of the Twenty Mile South Farm (TMSF), a 4,225 acre farm that is owned and operated by the City of Boise. This farm receives Class B biosolids from Lander Street and West Boise water renewal facilities to be stored and applied to foraging crops.
Wastewater Lagoon Troubleshooting and Optimization, McCammon April 20–21, 2020: This two-day workshop will be hands-on and cover methods, techniques, and strategies for BOD reduction, TSS removal, odor control, sludge reduction, and nutrient removal. Field testing for how to pull samples,where to pull samples and when to pull samples will be included.
Wastewater Lagoon Troubleshooting and Optimization, Hagerman April 23–24, 2020: This two-day workshop will be hands-on and cover methods, techniques, and strategies for BOD reduction, TSS removal, odor control, sludge reduction, and nutrient removal. Field testing for how to pull samples,where to pull samples and when to pull samples will be included.
Wastewater Treatment Operator Grades III and IV, Coeur d'Alene, June 4–5, 2020: The two-day exam review class is designed for all personnel who are taking the new ABC wastewater operator exam grades III and IV.
Wastewater Treatment Operator Grades III and IV, Boise, August 5–6, 2020: The two-day exam review class is designed for all personnel who are taking the new ABC wastewater operator exam grades III and IV.
- Wastewater Collection Operator III and IV Exam Review, Boise, August 12–13, 2020: This two-day class covers a review for those preparing for the Wastewater Operators - Collection III and IV Certification examinations. The purpose of this class is to prepare wastewater professionals in Idaho to pass licensure exams by providing them with all of the information that is required by the ABC need-to-know criteria.
Previous Conferences, Trainings, and Workshops
- Source Water Protection Workshop
- Source Water Protection Workshop: Cyanotoxins in Drinking Water: Protection and Response
- Water Reuse Conferences
Links to presentations at previous annual water reuse conferences are available here:
2019 | 2017 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007