Protecting Public Health and the Environment.

Environmental Assistance for Printshops

Printshops in Idaho can be impacted by various environmental regulations.

Air Quality Regulations

Printshops can potentially emit air pollutants into the atmosphere and therefore may be regulated by state and federal regulations. Facilities that use solvents and inks that contain volatile organic compounds, hazardous air pollutants, and toxic air pollutants may need an air quality permit to construct and/or a Tier I (Title V) operating permit.

In addition, printshops that have publication rotogravure, product and packaging rotogravure, or wide-web flexographic printing presses and that emit or have the potential to emit 10 tons per year or more of any hazardous air pollutants or 25 tons per year or more of any combination of hazardous air pollutants are subject to the federal National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAPs, Subpart KK), which regulate 188 hazardous air pollutants from particular industrial sources.

Publication rotogravure printing presses that were constructed, modified, or reconstructed after October 28, 1980, are subject to the federal New Source Performance Standards: Standards of Performance for the Graphic Arts Industry: Publication Rotogravure Printing, Subpart QQ.

Hazardous Waste Regulations

Printshops can typically generate hazardous wastes through the variety of services they offer. Used inks, waste rags, and solvents are just a few examples of wastes that need to be handled and managed properly. Management of hazardous waste is regulated by the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), which is administered by DEQ. The types and number of requirements that must be complied with is based on the quantity and types of waste generated. 

Water Quality Regulations

Print shops can have an impact on Idaho's surface and ground waters and may be subject to federal water quality standards and the National Pollutant Elimination Discharge System (NPDES) program. Under this program, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates the discharge of pollutants into any water body of the U.S., including storm water sewer systems. Depending on the activities and services provided, a print shop may need its own NPDES general permit for direct or indirect discharge. If the shop is located within a city that has an NPDES permit, it may be subject to the city's pretreatment and storm water requirements.